The first port of call on our fall cruise was Dubrovnik, Croatia. We hired a taxi with an English speaking driver who gave us a quick tour up to the top of Mount Srd where we had a fabulous view of the old walled city.
Old Dubrovnik is a fairytale town with only about 5000 inhabitants. Modern Dubrovnik is outside the walls.
Our cab dropped us at the Pile Gate, the east entrance. Inside we walked down the busy main street, the Stradun. Shops and restaurants line this promenade.
At the end of the street is Luza Square and the Bell Tower from 1444.
Also on the Square is Orlando’s Column, erected in 1417. It was used as a platform for the town crier. The Sponza Palace is from 1522.
This is St Blaise’s Church. St Blaise is the patron saint of Dubrovnik. He is always depicted holding a model of the city. There is a legend that St Blaise came to a Dubrovnik priest in a dream and warned him of an attack on the city by the Venetians. The city had time to prepare and the day was saved, hence his statue is all over town.
There are several museums in old Dubrovnik but we chose instead to spend our time wandering the picturesque streets.
A major “site” is the medieval wall. You can walk along the top of the wall all the way around the city. We waited for the crowds to thin in the late afternoon and walked the sea side of the wall.
Old Dubrovnik is a sea of orange tiled roofs. The bright new ones are on buildings that were damaged in the war with Serbia in 1991. Almost two thirds of the town was damaged or destroyed by cannons and mortars – it’s hard to imagine!
The old port is on the west side of the city, now filled with pleasure boats.
The wall walk continues along the high side of town but we were walked out and out of time. So we made our way back to the ship to rest up for the next port.