We began at the Eiffel Tower.
We caught a local bus to travel out to the Cimetiere du Pere-Lachaise. Bus 69 is used by tourists for a “hop on hop off” tour of Paris.
Ecole Militaire was founded by King Louis XV in 1751.
Place de Bastille
We were lucky this time and rode out a shower on the bus.
Pere Lachaise Cemetery is the largest cemetery in the city of Paris.
Too bad we didn’t read this before we got off the bus:
The station named Pere Lachaise, on both metro lines 2 and 3, is 500 metres away near a side entrance that has been closed to the public.
Oops! At least it was a pretty walk… until it started to rain again.
After a break for lunch we found the gate into the cemetery. Named for Pere La Chaise, the confessor to Louis XIV, the property was bought by the city in 1804. It got off to a slow start because it was located so far out of town. Some good PR work convinced the families of several famous citizens to rebury their loved ones in Pere Lachaise and the cemetery finally caught on. There are over one million people buried here and now there is a waiting list.
There are maps available of where the famous people are buried but as the rain kept up, and searching 110 acres would be daunting in good weather, we just wandered. This drippy, dreary day seemed appropriate for a cemetery.
Wikipedia has a good history of the Pere Lachaise Cemetery with a photo gallery of its famous “residents”.
We made our way to the Saint Germain-des-Pres neighborhood.
Cour du Commerce St-Andre is a glass roofed passageway built in 1735.
The Odeon – this is the third theater built on this site, (1819), still called the Odeon, like the prior two.
Luxembourg Palace and Gardens was begun in 1612 by Marie de’Medici, the widow of King Henry IV of France. The garden, nearly 60 acres, is now owned by the French Senate, which meets in the Palace.
The Medici Fountain was built in 1630.
The weather was often chilly and rainy but we still love Paris in the springtime!